What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Lockness Monster vs ShanShan and the Lamp


Today's post is about the on going saga that is my relationship with our cat, Lockness Monster. One of the first post you can meet him is in Clean Cat. 

In general we do not have the best relationship. He loves my husband and I get less than sloppy second for his affection. They hang out together, they sleep together. They laugh, they play, they have a good time.

When he comes and visits me I get so excited I try and take photographic evidence. When looking for this picture, it is from March. Yes, March of 2019, that is how long it has been since he has come and cuddled in the chair with me.

Now, I have to admit that sometimes he does come and cuddle with me when I am sleeping. I know this only because I accidentally kick him when I start to get up in the morning.

This war has both scars and injustices for all parties involved. 

This is but another chapter in our life's saga.

As of about a month ago Lock has started this new game where he wants to go outside in the morning. That would be okay if he wanted to wait until I was up. Instead he start to try and get me up between 3:30am-4:30m. Clearly this is not okay. I understand he is an inside outside can and might want to go poop in a neighbors yard instead of in his litter box but he HAS a litter box. It is clean, it is always available. I make sure he has food and water before I head to bed there is NO reason for him to wake me up to go outside.

When he comes to wake me up, even if Husband is home and sleeping next to me, he does it by messing with my nightstand. I have random things on it like books, hair ties, my cell phone, and a lamp. When he messes with the night stand he takes ones of two approaches. He either knocks the book or cellphone off the night stand or he messes with the lamp.The lamp has a little pull cord and it clicks and ticks when you push it. I am a light sleeper so I hear this noise and wake up. 

On this particular night we were on about day 4 or 5 of this early morning wake up call. I knew that even if I was rough and gruff when I picked him up and threw him outside he was still getting what he wanted. It is one of those good attention or bad attention still equals attention. 

Lock started his normal tricks of pushing things off the nightstand and hitting the lamp string. I pushed him off the nightstand and was like, "No! Go away!" 

He left for all of about 3 minutes and he was back.

Pushing the books and clicking the lamp sting. 

This time I scooped him up and brought him in bed with us. I figured I could keep him there long enough that he will either give up and stay or run away pissed off like a moody teenager. This lasted all of 5 minutes. He escaped the bed, ran out into the hallway and then was back, at it, on the nightstand.

That was it, I wanted more sleep, I was done with his game, and he was going to get what he wanted.

I threw off the covers, stomped to my feet and went to grab him from next to the lamp. I believe that was the moment when he might have a moment of regret. 

I grabbed for him and started to pull him off the nightstand when he then grabbed the lamp as a life line. In my head I heard him going, "No mama, noooo!" as I pulled him and the lamp at the same time. Three tugs later he released and I very roughly carried him to the side door, and practically threw him outside. 

Now, some people might be like why not just sleep with your bedroom door closed? We don't for two reasons. The first is that Husband likes the cat and they do cuddle pretty good together. He wants the option for the cat to come sleep with him. The second reason is that if I close the bedroom door he just stand on the outside of it pawing the door until he still gets what he wants, which is me up and throwing him outside.

Now that it is summer time I have actually let him stay outside all night as well. That isn't very often though because sometimes when I do that I still sleep poorly because then I'm worried about him. What if it rains? What if he's hot? What if he's cold? What if he's thirsty, or hungry, or hurt or gets lots, or scared or any other number of things people worry about for their cats.

I'm going to stay for this current night event the cat one this battle but the war will continue to rage on.

Does anyone else have a cat that is wakes them up and not their spouse? Or became their unwanted 4am alarm clock? If so please leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment