What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Top 6 in a 10K



Despite all of this card madness happening I still continued to try and do things already planned in my life. One of the things planned in my life happened on 9/1/2019. I decided to run a 10k in Lynchburg, VA.

Honestly, the race was randomly picked for three reasons. The first was that it was in a city I have never run in, Lynchburg, second it was a 10k and third it was in September.

The race I chose was being hosted by Bishop Events in Peak Views Park, and it was benefiting Fallen Patriots- MSG George A Bannar Jr. Scholarship.

I get up really early, throw two different outfits in the car with me, lots of water, and all the things I need to run with like my inhaler, hydration pack, knee braces, and some food.

The ride up is pleasant and very chill. There is very little traffic on the road on a Sunday around 6am. I'm enjoying the drive while listening to an audiobook about Catherine the Great. By the way, she is a fascinating read, or in my case listen.

When I arrive for this race pull into the parking lot and I have a moment of okay.....

I figured this might be a small race but the parking lot is pretty much empty. The race does have their table set up for packet pick up and the timer but no people are milling around. I didn't see the one random person that is having their own personal yoga session. Or the teenage boys that are running around in the least amount of clothing humanly possible. Or the matching friends that are coordinated in shirts and pants. I'm not judging I've done it, I'm just saying there are people I normally see at races.

I picked up my bib and t-shirt, went to the restroom and then put on my gear and wandered to the start line. By now there are a few more people there but not many. We are all kind of looking around being like okay, this will be smaller than I thought.

Well fast forward about 5 minutes and the race event is like well, all 6 people running the 10k are here we can start early if you want? Everyone is like, "Alright?" They explain the route and pretty much do a one, two, three let's go and we were off.

In this race, there were 4 women and 2 men. Within the first 3 minutes, I knew what place I was going to be in, 6 out of 6.

By the first 15 minutes, there was absolutely no doubt about my mind. Which, honestly is slightly discouraging for a few reasons.

The first is that any race or event or game you play the first thought is always anything but dead last. Which I now was.

Second, since it was two laps out and back I could see them running and they could see me running and how big the gap was getting.

Third, I knew I had been lacking in my training but I normally don't feel it so obvious.

Fourth and not least I never pay attention to the racecourse because I always assume there will be people in front of me. The answer to this was yes, they still were but with lots of gaps in between. It was a pretty easy noncomplicated race there was very little fear of me getting lost but still that bummed me out.

As the other runners kept going at a good pace I kept to my slow and steady trot while listening to music and just trying to take in the day.

It was muggy and the scenery was on a greenway so it was rolly but paved which I appreciated.

I think the three things that made me last the most was that while I was running at one point I was going so fast I could purposely not step on a daddy long leg. As I moved my foot easily out of his path I screamed in my head, "I saved your life!"

I did this at least two more times with a caterpillar and worm.

They did have a 5k that had more people, from what I could tell show up and participate. However, because I was so slow they were all gone by the time I finished.

There was one water station that I passed four times. It was being manned by a younger dude and he was super friendly. Since it was longer than a 5k I wore my hydration pack and told him on my second lap out(thrid time passing him) feel free to break everything down I have my own water I'm okay. When I came back though he was still there. I took a cup and drank some water out of appreciation.

The only sad part of this race was about the last 20 minutes my phone which was mapping my run while also playing music and by that time also doing my interval timing randomly turned itself off. It just died for no reason at the end of this run. My phone can do that sometimes but normally it makes it through runs. Apparently not that day.

The good news with any race I've ever taken on so far is even if they suck from the first footfall after the start line is that they eventually end. I will eventually have the pleasure of turning off my watch and stop stressing over what time it is.

As I crossed the finish line, the event staff, rightly so, were starting to wrap some of their items up. The 5 other people who had finished were nicely waiting for me to cross the line so we could begin the awards ceremony.

The other ladies took first, second, and third place, but I didn't feel bad, I took first in my age group.

A win is a win. Some call these participation awards I call it well earned.

Has anyone else come in last yet first before? If so when, where, and what were you doing? Please lease a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment