What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Friday, November 16, 2012

Happy Halloween!


This blog is a little late, but like all my blogs it is a story that can be told. I don’t know if it needs to be told, but it can be told.

I have a hard time getting up in the morning. Unless something super awesome or exciting is going to happen like Christmas, new jobs, going for a hike, or someone is making pancakes, mmmmm pancakes, I hit my alarm. I hit snooze, not once but multiple times. I have been known to hit it for hour. I am a bit more respectful when other people are around, but for the most part lots of alarm hitting.
October 31st was no different than any other normal day. I hit the alarm one too many times. I am allowed to dress up for work but have no real plan. I try and think what to wear when I go back to a costume I did a few years ago. It is a simple comfortable costume. I wear jeans, a pair of Converse low top sneakers, add a bowling shirt I own, some trophies my sister won for bowling when we were young and I’m now a bowler! Go me!

I am a big fan of bringing food to work. It gives me snacks all day long. It is cheaper then eating out for every meal, sometimes it’s better for you. Also, I feel like if I have my cereal at work it might motivate me to get there on time so I can eat it. That part hasn’t really worked out 100% of the time, but eating breakfast is still a good motivation for getting to work. Part of bringing cereal to work is the need for milk. I don’t want to bring a whole gallon to work, it think it is both too big and worry about finishing it. So I keep bringing half gallons of milk. However, when you buy two half gallons of milk you’re paying more money for something that actually comes in gallon size.
As a ways to change this waste of money I bought half a gallon of really good milk in a glass container. I figured drink this half gallon, bring the bottle home, wash it and fill it back up from MY gallon of milk at home. I’m saving money, I’m recycling, I’m going to get colder milk. Go me!

In my scramble that morning I’m throwing milk, trophies, cereal box, snacks, and other items in a reusable bag, throw it over my arm with my other work clothes, purse and jacket and head out the door.

I’m at work, I’m excited. One, I am wearing jeans. After working in a professional setting, you don’t realize how amazing jeans are until you cannot wear them daily. Two, I think I was on time. Three, I was excited to show the trophies and my “costume” off to my boss. As I put the bag on my desk I start to pull out the trophies.

“Hey Mike…..”
CRASH!

My bag fell off the desk. My $2.99 half gallon of milk and the $2 deposit on the glass bottle just shattered all over my carpeted cubicle floor.

Crap. I guess I’m not getting that deposit back. ß Actual first thoughts.
My boss and I go take entire roll of paper towels out of the kitchen automatic dispenser. For the next 45 minutes I’m cleaning up glass, trying to get the milk up. Followed by then trying to take a wet rag to kind of delude and get up even more milk. More paper towels, add the Resolve carpet cleaner. More paper towels.

About an hour later our Human Resources Department comes in to judge our costumes.
I won the competition, not because they felt bad about my spilt milk, but because no one else participated.

Just adding another default win to my belt.
Hey, a win in is a win.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment