What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Travel Tips Learned thus far in 2013

(Inserting awesome picture later tonight!)

So now that I am older, I've been traveling more. I've been actually traveling for years, but I've hit the time of my life where there are no adults on the trips, just me and friends.

By all means we are legal adults. I have the driver's license that proves it. But when it comes to getting in the car, or on the plane, or walking around a city, there are no Mom's or Dad's shuffling me around, taking care of things like hotels, travel plans, paying for gas, food, events, as much as when I was younger. The plans are all made by me and my friends.

Not every trip I take, but more and more.

In this there is both freedom and horror.

Freedom to the do the what you want, when you want, where you want, how you want, the way you want.

The horror to realize how much I still have to learn about traveling, other cities, and how much I don't know, the costs, and how to be smart with money.

The good news, every trip, every adventure brings me more information. Here are some of the newest tips I've learned from my recent adventure.

1. Bring pillows. Take the number of people in the party and divide by half and bring that number of pillows. I am a head bobber and so randomly trying to lean my head back against the seatrest it would randomly be rolled into the side window with no soft pillow to lesson the blow. If you haven't unexpecitly hit your head into a cold glass hard window, well it sucks. One, the window is hard, two I kind of wakes you up, and three it causes your neck to kind of hurt. Jackets and sweaters kind of work as temporary pillows, but they are always unrolling and moving which makes it annoying. So save the stress, get a pillow.

2. Bring your own water. I like most brought a water bottle, however, my friend W. brought a gallon water jug that had a pour spout so when we needed to refill out bottles we could! This was awesome because you weren't slowly filling the car with empty water bottles, or polluting, or spending tons of money on just some more water, and you could refill the bottle anytime you'd like. Fresh, clean, super cheap water anytime you want it. Awesome.

3. Check out the weather and bring  the right clothes. Not wearing hats or gloves when it is a high of 22 with wind is rough. It is amazing how quickly the blood leaves your fringers to freeze. The warmer or more apporiate your clothes are the more you can enjoy the season and area.

4. Buy tickets to guaranteed places/events you want to see in advance. We went to the Shedd Aquarium. It was awesome. However, it was also Illinois residents get in free on this Sunday. We had to wait in line, outside in the cold for an hour and half to get in. Buying these in advance would have saved time and probably some money.

5. Research events that are happening in the area while you're staying there. You can avoid long lines by buying said tickets on line or seeing cool things like parades or open markets.

6. You will be tired, try to have plans and ideas for what you'd like to do, but be flexible and open to switching up things at a moments notice.


7. Have a printed map not just the ones on phones. Then mark all the possible places/events/restaurants that sound good or interesting. This would have been helpful in planning on where to walk, use transportation, and help just keep a better idea of where we were. We got around fine, only went the wrong way about half the time, but having a map with all the information on it would have been nice. Kind of like having hot hands while were were waiting in line would have been nice. Mostly for my toes. They hurt with cold.

8. Bring snacks and lots of them. You never realize how cranky and how the mood changes by not having food or water can make a person. I knew I was sensitive, but I didn't think I was that bad. Having snacks like granola bars, fruit, filled water bottles, peanuts, candies whatever you want, will be instant, cheap, energy that can prevent massive killing sprees and arguments over nothing other than being too hungry.

9. Ask locals for their favorite spots. We walked around Wrigleyvill and a few places had Chicago Deep Dish Pizza on their signs. However, the locals never suggested them. Sometimes it might be a bit of a walk, but if you're going for what locals eat, you must first ask the locals.

10. Know the address of where you're staying. It is hard to get a cab back to your place if you don't know the name of the roads it's located on.

11. Bring breakfast foods/look for continental breakfasts. By having these things it help the breakfast eaters like me, start their day like normal, and saves on money. Again, it help lessen the need for a food search, the decision if you want to spend $10 now on some eggs or save it for lunch later down the road. Having breakfast at the hotel, or bringing items makes it easier and keeps people happier.

12. Know what your hotel room provides. We were lucky and had a fridge and microwave. Knowing that in advance you could pack accordingly. Cereal, instant oatmeal, or micowave eggs.

13. This one is more of a personal option, but I feel like comfort and utility will be outweighing fashion for the next trip. I brought my purse and not my hiking backpack. I hated that fact the whole time. I kept having to hold the purse. Move it up and own the arm, worry about it randomly being taken or spilled across the floor. It didn't hold water bottles. So next time I'm bringing this small backpack so I can make sure I have hands free access to things like my camera, have a safe place for my wallet, and plenty of room for food and water, extra layers, and just holding stuff.

14. Make sure everyone has every one's number. In a day and age where everyone has a cell phone, if you're hanging out with people you haven't hung out with before or am just not sure that you have their number. Double check. Phones dies, people wander off, people don't hear the phone. Having more than one number to call to get back with the group will cause less stress and problems.

15. That being said, almost make sure people know where, if all else fails, where they need to end up, like the hotel or a building or someplace to reduce the possibility or wandering in circles just big enough people cannot be found.

Do you have any other suggested travel tips? Let me know by leaving a comment or posting it on the Facebook fan page!

No comments:

Post a Comment