What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Her name was Lola

By now it is probably something else but that is okay. This blog post is about the puppy I fostered for about 2 weeks named Lola.

I had the desire to see if we could be a two dog house hold. I wanted to see how Teach would do with a puppy. I wanted to do my part in volunteering and helping out somewhere somehow. I filled out my application, made sure all my pets were up on their shots and returned my application. About 4 days later I was walking out of the local SPCA with a little beagle hound mix. She did not have name at the time but it was less than two hours that she became Lola.


I left work a tad early, went and picked her up, brought her home and immediatly she started to annoy Teach. 


She was in his face, in his space, and all over the place. She was spacey, didn't listen, had no manners, and couldn't tell us when she had to pee. We have hard wood floors, so clean up is easy, BUT, not something that you really want to do. I really feel in love with Teach a bit more than I already do. I miss his cute little puppy face, but having a dog that knows his name, knows how to listen, sit, stay, be and not pee in the house is a blessing.

I would discriber her as stupid, loving, bold, and gutsy. Because Teach is spoild rotten we have toys galor in our house. She would go from one toy to another toy to another toy. Some of this was forced due to Teach stealing everything out of her mouth. She didn't always take it laying down. There was quite a few times she barked, growled, and jumped back at him. This is very impressinve seeing as she was 7 weeks old and about 8lbs. She was the samllest thing in our house. Lock, the devil cat weighs about 2.5 times that at 17lbs. Teach, is 50 pounds, and she wore his butt out. 

The first days were the roughest because we had no idea what we were doing. It was also a lot of first for her. First time away from her litter mates. First time in a cage alone. First time in this new space. Fist time meeting this new dog. She took it all in strides and did great.

We visited friends, both adults and little kids. Played in the grass, in the leaves, and had a grand old time. One time she play so hard and for so long that when she stopped to take a puppy nap, she peed in her sleep. Lucky for us, she was sleeping on blanket. So we washed the blanket and the pup.

The downside of puppies is their wake up time. They are like babies in the fact that they will be awke a ready to play at about 4am. I haven't  had that little of sleep in a while.  

New Dude, though he was not a fan of puppies, and says we cannot foster one again, (we'll see about that) was great with her. They took naps together, played together, and looked so cute togheter!


Lola and Teach together were quite a pair. Not because they were super friendly together but because they were so silly. Between Teach stealing everything out of her mouth, not because of possiveness as much as trying to get her to chase him. She didn't get it most of the time. They also made me laugh when he would be chewing on a stick as big as he was and she would be doing the same thing.


Puppies are so trusting, so loving, so full of life, even though they will drive you crazy they will steal your heart. They will make you smile, laugh, and cry all within the same hour. 

Little Ms. Lola was returned a little over 2 weeks that we had her. Even though the whole time I told myself she would  not be staying, the moment I brought her in the SPCA building, I lost it. Hot, fat tears started flowing and I couldn't stop it. I gave her a hug and a kiss, and told her that she would make a family very happy.

They fixed her on a Wednesday and she found her forever home by Thursday. She was a sweet little girl that I hope will fill her new family with as much joy and happiness as she did New Dude and I. 

Fostering is always needed and is hard because even in two weeks the little fur balls and break your heart, but it gives them a chance they might not ever have had. As soon as we get a bit more time and our current dogs super chill with each other, I will be setting myself up for heartbreak again. 

Anyone else have a foster story they have? If so please let me know with a comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment