What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Confidently Wrong

Photo by Anastasiia Ostapovych on Unsplash 
The other day everyone in my household received new debit cards. They came from the bank in unassuming white envelopes to replace debit cards that were about to expire. Since they wouldn't expire until September I left mine on the kitchen table unopened for about 2 weeks.

Then Husband and I were headed out of town to visit my old college roommate, her husband, and their wee one and I decided to take this new card with me. I'd be in the car for a few hours and have plenty of time to call the number on the sticker.

I didn't actually end up calling, I had Husband do it. Once activated this debit card went from the side of the door to the middle to the consul until it finally landed in my wallet.

Since we were traveling we actually put most things on our travel credit card so we could move travel funds to it once we got back home.

Fast-forwarding through a wonderful weekend we made it home late Sunday night, picked up our dog from our friends and went to bed.

Anytime you're out of town for a long weekend you always come home to two things that need to be done as soon as possible. Unpacking to start the laundry and going to the grocery store so there will be food in the house.

Monday after work and before I headed out the door to Krogers, I took out my debit card, cut it up, pulled off the sticker from the newly activated card, put it in my wallet and away we went.

That was my downfall.

The card I so confidently cut up was to MY checking account, not the JOINT checking account the new card was actually replacing. I hadn't even thought to double-check the cards, their numbers, or fully even read the note that came with the new card. I just assumed, without reason, that it was replacing my checking account. Suffice to say, when we tried to deposit a check into MY checking account it did not make it in.

The funny thing is just HOW confident I was when I cut up the card. There was no doubt in my mind I was cutting up the right card. Yet, there was absolutely no reason to assume it would be that card. Oh well right?

I've ordered a new debit card and I hope it arrives soon. Has anyone else done this before? Maybe not with a debit card but with something else? If so with what? Leave me a comment below! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment