What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Spring Valley Farms Trail Ride For Two


August 15, 2019, marks the 4th anniversary for Husband and I. I don't know how but we made it. In that time we have visited about as many countries together, have bought a house, at least 3 trucks, (that is a story for another day), managed to keep our jobs, keep the dog alive, I've survived all the harassment from Lockness Monster, and all the other things in between that happens in life.

Like true us style we had to go celebrate with some kind of waver signing that if we die our family cannot sue XY and Z company. This time, it was a horseback trail ride for two at Spring Valley Farm located in Moneta, VA.

To sum up everything in one sentence I would have to state that our anniversary adventure was a wonderful time.

I left work early to pick to swing by the house and pick up Husband. We drove out to Moneta on a nice 89ish degree day with a breeze, blue skies and huge white clouds with just a tiny breeze.

With the help of the GPS and great signage, we were able to successfully locate Spring Valley Farms. Driving out into the middle of now where for things like farms, breweries, wineries, and distilleries are always fun but always make me a little nervous since I tend to get lost very easily.

We met our guide for the day as I write this to my chagrin, I cannot remember her name. I do remember that she was amazing the entire time. She was fun to talk to, super friendly, very laid back, great at helping us be reacquainted with riding horses and told us all about the farm. She was best described as wonderful.

We signed our waivers and then met our noble steads for the day. I had a lovely lady named Sprinkles and Husband had a lovely mare named something. Wow, I am really bad with names today.

We soon walked them over the ring, were soon in the saddle and going over basic handholds, commands, and how to make them move one way or the other. Soon after we were off.

The last time I rode was a horse was in 2015 when Husband and I were in Arizona for our Honeymoon. During that trip, one of the things we did was take a trail ride BY the Grand Canyon, not in it with donkeys.

This trail ride was very pleasant for us. It ended up just being Husband and the guide. We essentially just walked the fence line of their beautiful farm. We went up and down rolling hills talking and laughing the whole way.

The sky was so blue and the clouds so huge and fluffy. I love clouds, like not a little but for a while, I would give Husband a cloud rating of the day. That day would have been an 11. The scale, in general, is zero to ten. Zero being no clouds in the sky and ten being an amazing assortment of clouds. One of the coolest clouds we saw had a hole in it that was in the shape of a heart. Aww! And on our anniversary? How super lucky were we?

On the trail ride, we saw other horses in the other fields, cows, a zebra, a zebra horse hybrid, and I think a donkey. I told Husband and our guide that what could be better than wandering through a field, staring at clouds, no worries about bugs or ticks biting you, and without having to exert any energy? At this time in my life, I would say nothing is better. For about an hour we wandered this way and that way and over this hill and over that hill until returning to the barn. Our fun little adventure had ended.

The three things I did learn about this trail ride are as follows:
1. If it is 89 degrees you should wear the darkest jeans you have because you will sweat and make it look like you peed your pants.
2. Wear jeans or long pants. Why would you not I have no idea but according to our guide people show up in shorts. Your legs are going to stick to leather, why would you want that?
3. If you're wearing a smartwatch you'll earn steps that you didn't take. Thanks, Sprinkles for helping with my 10,000 step goal! Winning!
4. Listen to the guide. They know what is best because they do this all the time. If you have questions ask them and do what they tell you, not your friends or mom, do what the professional tells you to do!

Now walking funny from the ride both to the weird sweat ring and being the saddle for the first time in forever, we headed back to the car after a kiss.

Has anyone else taken a trail ride at Spring Valley Farms? What did you think? Do you suggest any other trail rides in Southwest Virginia? As always thanks for reading and feel free to leave a comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment