What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Friday, April 19, 2013

Rough Tuesday

Have you ever had one of those days where you kind of wanted to hit the big Easy Button from Staples or maybe the Restart form Nintendo? That was my Tuesday morning.
 
It stated off with the typical running behind by about 5 minutes to leave for work. I had to go back into the house at least once for a forgotten item. Then I sat behind the wheel of my new car and turned the key.
 
Or should I say attempted to turn the key? Nothing was happened.
 
Excuse me? Isn't this the new car that you just got? Why thank you for asking, yes, yes it is.
 
I was sitting behind the wheel of my new car, one that is suppose to be better and more reliable than my last car and it was not starting.
 
I tried wiggling the key, switching keys, flipping them around, pulling it out and putting it back in. Shutting the car door(I don't know why, it was worth a shot right?), made sure the car was in park. Nothing. Nothing was happening.
 
The dashboard light up for about 20 seconds and then goes back away.
 
Well, maybe I left the light on? This is a new fancy car maybe the battery is dead. Pretty much when Eleanor didn't turn on it was because of the battery. I don't know about all these new lights and what they may or may not do. I'll admit that it didn't really make sense because the dome lights kept coming on when I got in and out of the door. As do some other random lights.
 
I called my sister, the one who helped me find this car and asked if there was any funny trick to getting it started. She said no, and was so sorry to hear about the car. I was like, me too.
 
After a few minutes I called AAA to see if they could help. I talked to them, told them I think my battery was dead and needed a jump. They told me someone should call me in a few minutes and here were the number if I don't hear from them.
 
I waited about 5 minutes.
 
No call and the car is still not starting. I send the, I'm going to be late text to the co-worker and the boss man. They say Oh no, and good luck.
 
I tired calling a friend, no answer.
 
That is about the time I start to cry. Just one of those self-pity, why is me cries. The tears are flowing, the breathing is erratic, the nose is dripping. Every doubt, frustration, and problem with this car and the possibility it was a bad decision comes rushing to the surface.
 
Every current flaw, frustration, problem, concern, tight pair of pants, long day, hour of missing sleep, lack of exercising, bad day, hot day, mean thought, worry, indecision, problem came flooding in, uninhibited.
 
For about 3 minutes.
 
And then I had to pull myself together. Crying isn't going to get me to work. Sitting in my car isn't going to get me closer to solving anything.
 
So I took my first full breath, whipped my tears away, cleared my nose, and called another friend to ask for a ride to work. She said yes and would be there soon.
 
I sat in my car, thinking about how I would just get to work, if another friend could get me home, get AAA or another friend to help me get this thing figured out. The pub run would not happen, but that's okay, getting the car back up and running was more important.
 
While lost in thought a big red SUV pulled up. I got out of my car, the guy got outs of his. He had on a mechanic's shirt and had bright AAA patch on his shirt. AAA was here to help.
 
I explain what is going on with the car and he is like, well the lights are on, and I was like I know, it think it is weird too. 
 
He was like, well let me try and see what it was doing or not doing. When he put the key in the car did the same thing it did for me, nothing. The difference being that instead of getting frustrated, he knew what to do and tugged on the steering wheel. It had to be locked or unlocked for it to work. After the yank on the steering wheel, my car springs to light.

I thank him for savings me, well basically from myself, and he was like it is all good. I just live down the street from him, this was one of the best calls to start off work with he has had.

So feeling like an idiot I called the friend who was on her way and told her what happened and headed to work.

I also called my sister and told her what happened. She was laughing, I was now laughing, this story is funny. I was stuck and turned into a wallowing baby because of steering wheel and a fancy car that I apparently don't know how to operate.

I stopped to get something sweet for breakfast and headed to work.

I was about an hour late, but there, and able to continue with my day.

I was still able to go to the pub run, meet up with some friends for a drink, which turned into a surprise double date.

New Dude, after hearing about my rough day, dressed up, and drove down to spend some time with me. It is amazing what a hug from friends and people that care about you can mean. A rough morning ended with very sweet night.

Has anyone else ever had a day like this? If so please leave your story below.

No comments:

Post a Comment