What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Small Races

Mostly entertained by 365. I like it! Running 365!
I started off my weekend with a 10 local race.

I like local races for a few reasons that I shall now share with you:

1. I don't have to drive very far. Instead of taking up my whole weekend, I can roll out of bed, eat some food, drinks some water, grab my running gear and head out the door. I'd love to say more sleep, but it seems like sleep is a unicorn to me. Very seldom found.

2. The prices are usually lower. I can do a 10k for less then $30 most of the time. Grant it, the swag might not be as cool, and it has yet to include some free beer, however, it is nice to spend a little less. Plus they still have enough of my money to get my butt out of bed and to the start line.

3. I can actually see some of the same people I've run other race with. Or they'll have on swag from previous races that I've run and I'm like cool! In some of the races were there are 10,000 people, well minus, the people I bring with, I rarely see anyone else I know. For being part of the "running" community it is nice to see familiar faces.

4. I know it is helping a local cause right around where I live. I don't donate to anyone on the regular, but I know that all the races around me are for local causes. It makes signing up a little easier.

5. It keeps me motivated between big races. I have just signed up for the Richmond Half Marathon in November. These local races give me an extra intensive to get up and run for awhile on my Saturday. It keeps me honest and moving and pushing.

6. This is the newest one, I actually can make it in the top 3 in my age group. Never over all, those people are CRAZY! I have yet to get an award because I normally don't stay. I've never had a reason, but two of the last races I've run I was #3. This weekend's race I was 3 our of 7, but still it's a win. I guess I'm going to have to start to hang around longer to see what happens right? Kind of cool, kind of exciting. You cannot get that in the huge races, or at least I cannot.

What about you? Any of my other runner fans, why do you enjoy the smaller races? Let me know what a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment