What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Audio Books Make Your Brain Happy!

Photo by Blaz Photo on Unsplash
I remember when I was younger walking through my local library and seeing the audio book section with all their cases of CDs and being very judgy. I was like, why would you ever LISTEN to a book when you could just read it? I didn't understand or know why anyone would want to listen to a book.

To be fair, as a little kid I was always reading books. One summer my brother and I had a contest to see who could read the most books. Yes, I understand that makes me sound like a total nerd, but I was, so you called it. Matilda by Roald Dalh was one of my favorite books. I had aspiration of trying to read every book in the library like her. That, never happened.

As I got older my time for reading became less and less. I would still find time to read some books but not many. Most of my reading was for school either by required reading or text books.

Now, I can proudly say I was part of the lucky few who were able to experience the Harry Potter series book releases parties. I joined that wonderful world after book 3 was already out and I then had to painstakingly wait for books 4, 5, 6, and 7. Man those were fun!

That being said, after the Harry Potter series concluded I kind of stopped reading. I did read thing here and there but moving into the movie and television industry for college I spent all my free time watching and talking about movies. Once I left that life I kind of just fell out of reading in general. It was always something I loved but just never had time for it.

In the last few years that trend of not reading has both continued to slowly dwindle until... it...  .......stopped.

However, all is not lost! I have continued to fuel my brain and heart with stories because now I listen to books on tape! Well, more like mp3s. I listen to audio books, like all the time. When I say all the time, I mean, when I am driving in my car, when I am cleaning my house and pretty much any time I can. At work we are allowed to listen to music/our phones with ear buds. Instead of music I am pretty much always listening to a book. Sometimes at work, I do sometimes listen to podcasts instead of a book, but if my ear buds are in my phone, it's a book.

I love it!

I forgot how wonderful it was to be taken into a whole new world or place with just words. It gives me something to talk about with my husband. It gives me something to listen to when cleaning and doing other chores I might not like to do. And most important I'm learning! I am not always just reading fiction I do throw in a non-fiction book like every 3-4. It makes my brain expand!

Now, I do have the ability to mooch off of my friends Audible account which is wonderful. The other way I listen to books is the Libby app. (Please note I put this link on here of my own free will. They are not paying me or probably even now I've done this.) I love this app because it uses the card from your local library and allows you to either read a book through the app or listen to some of them. I love it because they have a great selection and because it's through a library so the books are free to listen too!

Anyway, if you're looking for something you can do in your commute or on a walk with your dog and aren't musically inclined like myself, I recommend an audio books.

Anyone else "read" books though one or two of the above apps like me? Let me know if you have a favorite app or book!

No comments:

Post a Comment