What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Monday, July 1, 2019

Bee Fail - again

In the last few years I have attempted to raise honey bees. Both attempts I failed.

In both cases I had new queens with 3lbs of work bees. The first attempt mostly failed due to ignorance. You can see the devastating results at 0-2. My second attempt was pretty much due to the same reason.

The first one was my fault due to being exciting and hoping to expand the colony to fast and big. When fall started and the colony shrunk they had too much space to take care of and not enough workers so the wax moths came in and took them out. The second time they failed faster. I feel pretty confident that it was due to a missing queen. I don't know if she died or flew away but she went MIA and before I knew what was going on it was, again too late. They did give me a fun memory though.

A few things tickle me the most out of my bees. First, they both were murdered, like completely and utterly, no survivors at all.Second, two years in a row, you would have thought I would have gotten a little better by the second year. Nope, apparently not. Third, I just went to apply to our local state agency about getting help and extra equipment for my third attempt next year, in less than 24 hours the agency received over 2,000 applications and have already closed out the process. I guess I'll know better next year to stay up to 12am on June 30th. (I just set up a calendar reminder). I think the fourth and most important is that friends and family members have always told me that I needed to get a hobby. It would be, "fun." I had a hobby, I've put a lot of money into it and twice I have failed. I guess they never specified the goals of the hobby. These well meaning people never said find a hobby that wouldn't immediately fail on you, or cost a bunch of money, or that could give you a rash, or attack you. Nope, just get a hobby.

I should have defined it better. Maybe I'll have to keep that in mind for my next hobby.

Until then, I'm still sticking with bees. It's just going to be another year because I need to save up. My goal is to get two nukes at the same time. Nukes, for anyone not familiar with bees, are several frames that have eggs, honey, pollen, and an already tested queen and helpers. Think of it as buying an already started tomato plan that has buds for flowers. It isn't a guarantee my bees live or that the tomato plant produces fruit, but it seems like a pretty good chance.

Anyone else playing around with bees? If so, any suggestions on books or blogs? Thanks and have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment