What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Pasta at Krogers

Thursdays are one of my favorite days of the week. The main reason right now is because that is when I have soccer practice for the women's league I'm on. I am, by  no means good at soccer, but it is really fun to meet with new people, run around, kick a ball, and realize how this was so much easier back in high school. Thursday's practice was cut short due to a thunder storm that blew up out of no where. Having no place to be and being slightly hungry, I head over to my favorite Kroger.
     
The whole drive towards home/Kroger I pondered if I should go. I was all sweaty, smelly, and forced to wear my cleats. I had forgotten to throw flip flips, or for those of you who have seen "I'm on a Boat", my flippy floppies, in my bag. So I had the option of putting on my heels I wore to work, or going in full gear. I chose full gear: cleats, shin guards, knee braces, sweaty mess. Check. I walk into Kroger clicking and clacking with my cleats on their nice floors trying not to slip and break myself. It's a legitimate concern for me, the not breaking myself. I wander up and down the isles with no real plan except that I need milk.

At one point I decide for dinner I'd like to do an Alfredo sauce, peas and chicken for dinner. I have chicken and peas at home, I need to either make the sauce or buy the sauce and maybe some pasta. I'm not 100% confident I have pasta at home. I click over to the pasta isle. I start picking up boxes, angel hair, elbows, fettuccine, spaghetti in all different sizes and brands. I notice, for the first time in my life, they have pictures of the pasta, in some kind of dish on the box.

This might not be news to some people, but I was curious. I've never noticed before. I always check out the name, check out the noodles through the clear plastic windows, take it home, eventually dump it in boiling water, and recycle the box. Pasta So here I am standing in the middle of the Kroger pasta isle amazed at all the pictures, then if you find a pasta dish that looks good you flip over the box and they have the recipe on the back. Who knew? I mean, I certainly didn't. For about 10 minutes I kept picking up the different kinds of pasta, checking out the recipes on the back of the boxes.  None of them seemed hard, the pictures looked good. I was totally amazed.

One person came strolling down the isle and I was tempted to be like hey, did you know they have recipes on the back? But I didn't. I finally chose a box, got a jar of sauce and headed home. I shall be attempting to make my own Alfredo sauce later this month. I know it isn't hard, it has just been years since I've attempted it.
 
So lesson for today is the next time you're in the pasta isle, flip over the box and check out a new recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment