What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Trix and Me

I had just gotten home late from work. My stomach, as usual, was grumbling and yelling at me “FEED ME!” I walk over to the fridge and open the door hoping things had magically changed since I last opened it in the morning. Nope, still just some milk, condiments, ground beef I should toss, and some beer. Boo! But hey, at least I have milk. Where there is milk there is always cereal.
I opened the pantry and start to pull out the Corn Bites, Kroger’s version of Chex, and saw a red box out of the corner of my eye. I glace up and see a small box of Trix hiding on the shelf above me. I had forgotten I had purchased a box last time I went shopping. Score! Corn Bites you can live another day,  Trix are tonight’s dinner.

Finding one of my larger bowls, I fill it to the rim, add a hefty amount of milk, and strolled over to the table to enjoy my childhood treasure.
Trix were a staple at our house, right next to Cheerios and pasta. These little colorful bites gave us a plethora of changing color spoons with ears on top. You say Trix and I’m thinking about Saturday morning cartoons, the ones BEFORE Sponge Bob Square Pants. They had good shows like GI Joe, Captain Planet, Power Rangers (while they were still cool), Looney Toons, Teenage Mutin Ninga Turtles, and a whole bunch more.  As I plunge my spoon into childhood, I realize, like the actual animation of those cartoons, it’s not quite the same as I remembered. 

They have replaced the fruit shaped pieces with little colorful balls. Some of the balls are swirled, some of them I don’t even know what kind of fruit they are pretending to be. The box seems ten times too small. The cereal that use to taste so good, now tastes like little puffs of sugar. I’m a huge fan of crunchy cereal, and before I’m even halfway through my bowl, most of the pieces were soft.  I am still going to eat the rest of the box of cereal, but it just doesn't bring me the same joy it once did. I could blame a change in my taste buds or faulty memory, or change in there dye they use in the cereal. Whatever the real reason, in the end, Trix just isn’t quite the same. Remember the past, enjoy the present, live for the future. Even with cereal this holds true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment