What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Friday, August 31, 2012

DUI Check Point!

Last Friday night I was working at the restaurant. To my surprise and delight I was not a closer which means I was actually done with all my tables, doing my side work, and turning in the required money and paper work before we closed. It was fantastic! Having my other job normally makes me a closer which is fine, but every once in a while it is good to get out of there early. I was sitting around with some other servers who were also done already. I was thinking about having a drink…but I just wasn’t really in the mood, and by the time I figured I was, we were closed and as servers are not suppose to order drinks after we’re closed. So I chatted a little bit longer and figured I’d just go home and have a beer from my beer drawer.
On the way home I’m just jamming out to some music when I see a guy randomly take a fast turn into Little Casers. That’s weird I think, they are closed, I don’t know what they are trying to do?
Just around a corner, the night sky is light up with blue, white, red, and yellow light. What in the world? That has to be a huge accident! Then I start to see the signs and cones and cars. They are all slowing to crawl and I realized what was going on a DUI CHECKPOINT!!! I am about to go to my FIRST DUI check point! This is fantastic!
One, I hadn’t had anything to drink. Two, look at all the lights. I am actually giggling with excitement. I prepare, I turn the radio down, and I pull out my driver’s license, and start to kind of straighten the mess that is my passenger seat up. I was tossing clothes in the bag, gathering trash and other items to make it a bit neater.
The hardest part about this experience is that I keep looking around and trying to take pictures. Can you take pictures while stopped? Are they going to get mad? I was able to take these two that kind of came out.



The only thing I was actually worried about was if I was going to get my window back up. My diver side window rolls down just fine but getting it up, now it takes two hands and a few grunts.
So I’ve finally came to the part where you can talk with a police officer. I’m ready, I have nothing to hide, I’m good to go, I’ll probably ask him about how long it takes to get these set up or something. They have a coup of cars pulled over; a few people are by their big mobile police unit which is like a big Bus that probably has cool stuff in it.

The officers start to wave me though, I’m like cool, and I’ll just be talking to an officer further down the line, that’s cool. Except, the police officers didn’t ask me any questions. I ended up getting waved through the whole line. I was bummed. I mean really, what a perfect time to get stopped! I had so many questions starting to bubble up to be asked. Oh well, there will be others.
Be safe don’t drink and drive so you too can enjoy the light show that is a DUI checkpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment