What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Call me Paul

So, this weekend, with the help of my parents, we started to cut up a big oak tree that fell during a big storm we had about a month ago. This oak tree first caused us some concern when after another storm one of the branches had fell. At first glance, it looked like a tree had fallen in my yard, but no, it was just a branch. Yes, the branch was that big we had to question if it a tree was donw. We cut that one up, and created a small pile of wood in the back yard and called it a day.


The big storm that ended up taking down the rest of the tree. The picture about is the downed oak tree. I first thought there was the possibility of a tornado. 

When the storm starting to hit I was freaked out by all the winds, leaves and branches hitting the windows, and just the trees bending like gymnastic stars. I quickly lost power and found myself in the basement with no power, a few small candles, my phone thankfully charged, and wondering if I should take cover under something heavy? That or start looking for some buckets of water. I figured it would be a safe way to protect my friends when we met the Wicked Witch of the West. “Give me your Chuck Taylor's!” “No!” Throw the water on the witch, “I’m melting! I’m melting!” They story would end faster but we’ve all seen it so that’s like 3 hours of time saved.

During this storm, which caused millions of people to loose power and even more money lost due to damages. Luckily, only this tree came down. It missed my porch probably by only like 4 inches, but still, no harm no foul.  Not owning a chain saw, and not really one to play with power tool by myself, I waited until my parents came to visit and with their help chopped up the tree. I did ask, at one point if I could use the chain saw. Whenever the parents are around, I always feel like I'm 16 so asking is a must. After a few minutes of debate and hesitation my step dad gave in.

He told me how to hold the chainsaw, where to push the little power button to make the chain move, and was standing next to me advising me to move my feet and how to try and cut this big branch etc. Wow, chains saws are hard work! I had no idea all the body parts that were engaged when cutting stuff down. At one point I thought I was going to have to stop because my abs were starting to cramp. ABS! How in the world are those things  being worked? Everyone else always makes it look flawless and easy and I'm about to be bested by a dead tree branch. My arms were straining, I think I stopped blinking and breathing trying to push this spinning blade through this tree.

I cut two sections and gladly gave the chainsaw back to my step-dad to let him use his skills. I'll drag any tree or branches to the side of the road. I can now say I've used the chain saw, and I'd try it again but on anything big like this oak.. I might pass.

Good news, I have lots of firewood for camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment