What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Friday, September 14, 2012

I caught a Shannon

So most people don’t remember exact times or even round about times during their day. However, I can tell you exactly what was going on in my head Thursday, September 6th 2012 at about 5:10pm.

“Owwww, what is poking me? Is that? Is a hook in my arm?!?”
Yes, you read correctly. A Hook. In My Arm. At 5:10pm. Now the first thought, hopefully, was are you okay? Thank you for your concern, yes, I am. The second thought was probably were you fishing? If I was fishing then it would be totally understandable and everyone could just shrug and go well, hazards of the sport. Wait, 5:10pm on a Thursday? Shouldn’t you be at work or leaving work? Don’t you work in an office? As a matter of fact, you are correct. I do, hence being slightly surprised by the fact a hook was in my arm.  

At  5:10pm I was walking back from my picking up my soccer bag out of my car so I could change in my office bathroom verse some other location.
Now you should be scratching your head thinking, how in the world? I was too, no worries, I was too.

Apparently, my old goalie gloves my mom found a few weeks ago and gave to me had a little present attached to the hook on the bag. I placed said goalie gloves on the strap of my soccer bag, because it is kind of small, and while walking through the parking lot in some crazy freak way, the hook went into my arm.
A few things were happening around this time. I was first thinking well that really sucks. Then I was like how did I never notice a big fish hook, see picture below, in my bag before. Then I was thinking, why would I think to look for a fish hook. Okay, no blood, we’re okay.
 Hook
I proceed to go change in the bathroom, still no blood, as I’m washing my arm, you know to be safe. I had just put my hair up in a bun on top of my head and I look up in the mirror, and low and behold, two grey hairs sticking out to mock me. Really, first I get a fish hook in my arm and then I have to have two grey mocking hairs laughing at me.
Side note, I thought I’d handle seeing grey hairs with more feness then I have been.

So now, I’m like, well I should really see if I can get something more than soapy water on this mark on my arm. So I go to a co-worker and ask if we have any alcohol pads or something like that. We look in our section of the office and then go wandering down the hall to another section.
It’s about this time that she asks me what I need the alcohol pads for, I say because I was just stabbed with a fish hook. This is also the moment my boss’s boss is walking by. He hears me, shakes his head and is like, nope not going to touch that one. After I work some place long enough people sometimes just kind of understand that things just kind of happen. I like to call it the Shannon Curve. Some people get grading curves in school, I get one in life. =) We get the pad, I swab my wound, go  back to show my co-worker the giant hook in my bag. Thankfully the barb didn’t go in because it would have hurt a lot worse.

I leave the office and immediately call the parents to see if I should be worried. The giant “They” of the world talk about if you get stabbed with something metal you should go get your tetanus shot. I had one like 4.5 years ago, they say no worries. I call my paramedic sister and she says no worries. I Google symptoms and how long it takes to show signs. It’s about 2 weeks and as long as my muscles don’t start to spasm I’m good.  
Today’s lesson, always check your bags for hooks, and when things are tough that’s when you’ll notice the grey hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment