What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Indian Food!

 So about two weeks ago I went out to eat with my good friend Chris. Whenever he comes into town we always make sure we try something new or have an adventure.
 
Our first adventure started by going to a museum about O. Winston Link. It was a small museum dedicated to this guy who took pictures of steam locomotives for a living. It was very cool. We saw some art, some train parts, a small video and called it a day.
 
When we were done we decided we were hungry. So after going through the normal, burgers, salad, Mexican, seafood, etc. I told him we had an Indian restaurant, but I had never been. Chris was like then there are no other options, we must go!
 
Our adventure was on a sleepy Sunday afternoon and the place was mostly empty. When we sat down we were told about the buffet. After ordering waters we asked for menus just to see if anything jumped off the page. Seeing as I have never tried Indian food before, I really didn't know what I was reading or pictuing in the head. After about 2 minutes, we decided the small buffet would be the best options. Try a little bit of everything.
 
After handing our menus back to the server we headed up to the line. The picture below what I had on my first round. 
 
 
 


 
I don't know what the names of the dishes but I can tell you what is on the plate. Starting with the bread, it was toasted peta bread I think. Under it, the white and kind of pink looking stuff was coconut rice. Next came some kind of spicy beans. There was regular rice next to that. The red and black thing was some kind of chicken. The brown stuff on the top left was also some kind of chicken in curry sauce I think. Next to that was a hard boiled egg cut in half in some kind of sauce. I know there were some fried potatoes in the middle of the plate. The stuff on the bottom right next to the fork were some veggies in some other kind of sauce. I also had a sample of lentil soup.
 
Now, over all the food was really good! I would and will go back. The top things that struck me about this food. One, everything involved seasonings of some sort. It was not all spicy either. There were a few bites of beans that were a little spicy, and Chris also found a spicy sauce. Most of my dishes are just salt and peeper. Everything on this plat was a complex assortment of seasoning and sauces.

Two, there was a lot of sweetness to the dishes. The mixed veggie with the sauce wasn't sweet like cake but more like just a touch of sweetness. The lentil soup was very sweet actually. It kept throwing me off so much so I didn't eat that much of it. It was good, but every time I put the white broth to my lips I expected something different and the sweetness was like a slap in my face. It is amazing how your mind can say white soup looking like this should taste like this and when it doesn't everything goes up in the air.
 
I went back for a second round to get a few more items I had forgotten and some actual dessert. They had these little little fried doughnuts of sorts that were really good. So was the fruit. I had some rice pudding and that kind of just made me gag. That was the only thing I put in my mouth and instantly made a sad face and did not like it. I managed to get it down, but I was not going back for a second bite. They also had this chocolate almost moose/pudding mix that was really light and really good.
 
If you have not tried Indian food you really need to go out and let the flavors dance across your tung. I like the idea of the buffet for just more items in smaller portions to try. You don't have to sit and do the eni meni miny moe and hope your one dish picked is good. Go out, have a mouth full of flavor. If you like it awesome, if you did not then at least you've tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment