What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Walking On The Farm

Christmas 2019 was a very pleasurable day. It started with the early hour gift-giving at Husband's folk's house and then we wandered down to his grandparent's house for breakfast and present opening with the rest of his family. 

This year was a bit sad because Husband had to work, but when you're in public service these types of things happen.

After all the festivities I wandered back to the in-law's house for a nap. I told Teach I would take him for a walk and planned to do it before my nap but I was just..so....tired I couldn't fulfill my promise.  I had to nap first. He was not pleased so didn't allow me much of a nap, but still, I had enough sleep to be a functional person again.

While everyone else napped and chilled out Teach and I went to the farm.

Now, I feel like I probably talked about the farm before, but if not that is a shame. It is in a lot of pictures for sure. This is the farm where Husband proposed to me and we celebrate the Fourth of July each year. It brings us wood, and stories, and his family with pasture for the beef cattle they raise. 

Teach LOVES, the farm. It is where we let him off leash allow him to be a dog. To run and chase pretty much anything he wants. He drinks out of streams, pees on the tallest blades of grass, and slightly terrorizes the cows. He mostly does herd them together, but sometimes he tries to bother a calf and momma cow is NOT happy. We can, most of the time, call him off the cows, without causing too much stress. However, he listens to Husband when he is in full working dog mode, better than me.

The farm is where Teach and I walked. I followed the fence line for a part of the field I'd never really wondered much. In one part wandering, I came across our old truck that was totaled due to ice on the road, a steep hill, and a phone pole stopping it. I think that happened in 2018. I went up to the truck and forgot how badly it had been damaged. It made me very grateful that no one was hurt but sad we lost it. It was a good truck. 
In another part of this field is where we buried our cat Moomba. It was nice to take a moment and think about that silly, wonderful, best cat ever, that graced our lives for too short of time but made such a lasting impression. 

I didn't take pictures of all the items Teach and I saw like tires, lots and lots of tires, some old appliances, random bits of metal, huge rocks, wooden crates of rocks, broken car, random bones and all things nature. 

As part of the same field but in a different section, I was excited to stumble upon where they actually put the dead animals. It is a farm and not all animals make it. I don't know if all farms have a "this is where the dead animal bodies go" but this farm does. It was a cooler day and in winter there were no smells, but Teach and I did see a very large amount of bones and some dead deer. 
Look closely at the image below of the deer and you can see where the eyes have been eaten out. Also, I find it just interesting to see the head left alone and the rest is gone. I get it, less meat on the skull but still, kind of cool. Also, when I was walking away there was just this random deer leg hanging out by itself up the hill from the body. It kind of reminded me of the leg from the goat in the first Jurassic Park movie. 

Side note the first movie is the best the rest are entertaining but the books are amazing! 

After wandering for about an hour I started to go back to the car. Teach was starting to do the run and stop and sit for a minute so I knew he was getting tired which was the whole point of this walk. 
Since he had done such a great job of not rolling in any piles of poo or other unknown fluids up until this point in time it meant he had to roll in something that caused his hair to mat together. Why would we want to go to the farm and not have to take some kind of bath? This being a known issue I gave him a spot bath outside with some super cold water. After 4 years you would think Teach would associate poo rolling equals bath but so far that is still not the case. Teach might not learn but I have. I try to always bring dog shampoo and towels with me when we head to the farm.

I love the farm. Not only is it pretty and filled with random items, history, crackling power lines, and tires, but it just fills you with fresh air, very little cell service and the ability to just be. 

Does anyone else wander around farms? If so, do you see some of these same things? Let me know with a comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment