What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Sunday, October 25, 2020

K is for Kart-Wheels

Cooked

These Kart-Wheels were made on July 23rd and they came out alright.

This recipe calls for about 1 cup of pie filling or jam. I wanted to use cherry pie filling because cherry pies are one of my favorite types. However, when you go to the store to buy pre-made pie filling, they do not come in one cup cans. They come in 21oz. This means I immediately decided to double this recipe to make sure I could use all of the pie filling. 

The irony of this decision is that I was more focused on the filling and ran out of flour halfway through so had to run to the store to pick more up. 

Making the dough was clear and easy. Filling the actual Kart-Wheels was confusing. 

The book said, "Divide the dough into 6 equal parts." In my case 12 equal parts. "Shape each part into a ball. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet; flatten slightly. Make an indentation, 1 3/4 inches in diameter and about 3/4 inch deep, in center of each flattened ball."

This being a kid's book, I think shapes or other descriptors would have helped. Like flatten into a ball, and make a dent the size of a half-dollar or the back of a tablespoon would have been helpful. Something other than measurements. I have a lot of things in my kitchen but not a ruler or a tape measure.  

Since I had a double batch I decided to try it two ways. The first was to try and figure out how to make this weird little dent into my flatten ball. If you look at the first image then itis the Kart-Wheels on the right. This method, I felt, made the filling sit on top of the dough.

The second method I chose to take the little balls and make them into little cups. More like a tart type shape without a tart cup. This made the Kart-Wheels more like little mini pies The Kart-Wheels on the left in the first image. 

After cooking, cooling, and eating, I preferred the mini pies. I enjoyed the Kart-Wheel dough recipe overall since it was nice and tasty. I just liked knowing the cherries would stay in the baked good and not roll-off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment