What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Friday, March 8, 2013

Better Than Sex Cake

So last weekend I had the family come up to visit for the weekend. After some late nights of cleaning or avoiding cleaning, it came down to Thursday night. Time for the last big clean and to make a cake. A new cake, a Better Than Sex Cake.
 
My brother's birthday had been a week or so before the gathering so we wanted to make sure there was cake to celebrate. So when asked what kind of cake, he said a good one. That being ever so helpful, I asked his wife. She said a Carrot Cake or a Better Than Sex  Cake.
 
I made him a Carrot Cake 2 years ago. I have never made a Better Than Sex Cake, so that is the cake I went with. 
 
I searched the internet, on my phone, and found a few recipes that sounds good and they all had the same basic things. Devil Food Cake, Carmel Sauce, Condensed Milk, Cool Whip, Health Bar topping stuff. Alright, I can and will do this! It was super exciting because I've sen the cake before but never made it OR tried it. 
 
So I go to my favorite Kroger to find the ingredients that I am missing, which is everything but the whip cream. So I head down the cake isle. I find me box of cake and wander towards where the ice cream toppings are. 
 
Okay, so the recipe I was using, which I didn't think would be a problem at the time, just said one can Sweetened Condensed Milk, one boxed Devil Foods Cake, one Bottle Caramel Sauce, and 8oz of Whip Cream.
 
As you can see by the picture, I did not get a bottle of caramel sauce, I went with a jar. Do you know why I went with the jar? I'll ask another question first. Do you know how many different size containers of caramel sauce they have a Kroger's? I could find as small as 10oz and as big as 20oz. They were all different prices, all different sizes, all way too complicated for me. I couldn't make a decisions that day and was afraid of having too much or too little of the stuff, so I compromised. I went with size in between all the sizes. This jar was 17oz I believe.

The same thing almost happened for the sweet condensed milk. They have TWO different size cans. A small one and a big one. I went with the small one.

Seriously? Why was this getting so hard. Also, why did I not think to look up the recipe on my phone again for answers to my size question?
 
Finding of the Health Bar pieces was a lot easier. I just had to look both high and low to find it, but once I did, it only came in one size so I was good to go.
 
I get home that night and start to bake the cake. I get it baked and the house clean but it has to be cool before I start to add these things too it. So I go to bed, and get up earlyish so I can finish this cake.
 
Step 1. Poke holes in the cake. I did it with a wooden spoon. If you want to feel silly, start poking a cake with a wooden spoon.

Step 2. Combined caramel and sweetened condensed milk. This step sounds easier than done only because the caramel was not moving. It was glooping out. I was kind of worried that when it tried to add it to the cake it would be destroyed. However, once the condensed milk was added it became a smooth less gloopy mix that soon settled in the holes.
 
Step 3. Add layer of whip cream.
 
Step 4. Add Heath Bar pieces.
 
Step 5. refrigerator until enjoyment.
 
This was a fantastically rich cake. Everyone loved it, it was super sweet and rich so only a small piece was needed. I would defiantly do this cake again, just this time, maybe read the directions a little better and find a recipe with cups or ounces for less stress.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment