What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

That’s when you’re going to say aww?

Picture by Stuart Miles at freedigitalphotos.net

So the other day I took Eleanor in to get her oil changed. I know how to change my oil, however, I don’t have car ramps and even if I did I’d be nervous to try and pull up on them by myself. So I had to suck up the money and go get her changed.

While sitting in the little waiting room for my turn there were two ladies across from me.
When I first entered the room they were both super into their phones. It sounded like they were trying to see who could write a novel the fastest. Both of their fingers were flying around their screens. Or maybe they were playing a game? I don’t know but they were super interested in it.
They were called out of the room to update their car information so were gone for a few minutes. 
When they returned the two ladies were now talking a little bit until, like me, they started to watch the news.
The first story we heard was about 5 teenagers dying in an SUV accident when they hit a gas truck and it kind of exploded.
The second was story about 6 teenagers in an SUV who hit a guard rail and then landed in a pond and didn’t make it.
The third story was about a 6 month old baby girl who had been shot to death in gun violence. Her dad was changing her inside their car when someone came by and shot them both up multiple times. She did not make it and the dad is in intensive care.
The fourth story was about how the endangered Manatees off of the Florida coast are dying because of red tide.
One of the ladies said AWWWWWWW.
Really? That is the point where you are going to show your sympathies? Not for an innocent baby or some teens that were having fun until something went wrong? Some fat sea cows that aren’t doing well?
Grant it, there were 174 of the Manatees that have currently died, which is more then the 12 people in the previous stories. I just want to know how desensitized we as a people are becoming that we don’t feel bad about the other people and just feel bad about the animals.
I am an animal lover just as much as anyone else. I also know that for better or worse some people in this world just suck. I was just so taken back that when talking about the Manatees is when the sympathy came out. I’m pretty sure the other stories were just as much a series of misfortune events they didn’t have control over either.
Confused and sadden by the human race.
Have you ever been in a situation like this where you thought someone’s sympathies were totally misplaced? Leave a comment below and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment