What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Friday, March 15, 2013

Fort Night!


FORT!
This has been kind of a long week. I worked a full day on Sunday at the restaurant. Monday rolled around with both jobs and then Tuesday I walk in as a co-worker walks out because she is not feeling well. That is totally understandable so I was happy to help, but follow that up with a pub run, errands, cleaning and not much sleep and by Wednesday I was tired.

Two friends wanted me and my new dude to come out for dinner or drinks or just to hang out. At first I was all for it but by 2:30pm I was beat and wanted to stay in.
 
I was still filled with the desire to do something fun and different with New Dude so while sitting at my desk I thought about having a throw back to childhood. I called him up and asked if instead of going out maybe we stayed in and could build a fort in the living room, eat some frozen pizza and watch a movie.

Yes, most defiantly yes was the answer on the other side of the phone. Plans settled!

I left work just a few minutes early to go home in time to run and pick up some contacts that I've forgotten about for the last two weeks. We stopped two more times for some quick errands before heading back home.

After we got the pizza cooking it was time to build a fort.

I don't know the last time you built a fort, but for me it has been a very, very, very long time. While becoming a fort engineer I learned a few things. First, I might have been a little bit more creative as a child. I felt like it was more natural then then it is now. Also, how I built forts as a kid with blankets, kitchen chairs, and then bringing in all the stuffed animals, pillows, blankets that were still left and our fuzzy little gerbils at the time, was not how everyone did it.

New Dude said he built his more with couches and blankets. Pushing them together and then putting the blankets over the top. It sounded good, we tried it, however we couldn't get enough space for it to not feel like were were hiding in more spacious sleeping bags.

We also learned that we are bigger, especially him, since we were little and what could have worked to cover our heads and still have plenty of room to keep the suffocating claustrophobic feeling away, does not apply to today. A little bit taller, a little bit wider, we need things to be, well bigger.

So after moving the couches around a few time, giving up on making it so we could see the TV we came up with this layout that used the love seat turned around as the back support for the blanket and the front area is held up by kitchen chairs to make it more spacey.

We use the little chrome book that sat on a stack of couch pillows to watch the movie. Brought the stuffed animal in still, along with pillows, pizza and beer. Yes, it is good to be an adult. Well... how about old enough to buy beer?

With only one accident of dropping one of the small couch pillows right into the gooey saucy part of the pizza the fort was a success.

New dude's stuck out of the fort, but I fit in just find. Plus, it was really funny because it was actually quite warm under the fort. When we emerged from the little blanket cave, I was like wow, the house seems colder now.

All in all, it was fun enjoyable, relaxing date night.  
Inside view of the fort.


Do you have any fun date night stories? If so leave a comment below!
 

1 comment:

  1. Once I went on a date with a beautiful woman under a fort made from a comforter. There was beer and pizza, and to top it all off we fell asleep under the stars.

    ReplyDelete