What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Friday, March 1, 2013

It's a Jeep Thing

So this beautiful beast is my brother's Jeep. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure, no the privlage to drive it. I was at home visiting the family and had driven down with my sister to go run a race with my mom. Nothing but a fun race weekend, see some people, hang out and get caught up with everyone.
The last few times I had been home I had been unable to visit a friend and her family. So this time I made sure that after I was done racing and sweating I took a nice shower, and was presentable,  I would go hang out with them and have some dinner.
 
My sister needed her car and the other cars were out or blocked in. My brother had nothing to do and said I could use his car.
 
As you can tell, like me, he also has an older car. His is also a make from 1989. However, his has this torn up bad ass quality to it that you cannot find anywhere else but in a Jeep.
 
I had to climb into the Jeep because I'm short and this was tall. I went to grab the handle strap on the door but it was broken.
 
I sit in the seat, and start to laugh. My legs are clearly shorter than my brother's so I need to move the seat up so I can work the clutch. His car has something Eleanor does not have, cup holders. However, his cup holder is a wooden block thing that is wedged between the seats, which at this current junction is causing me a lot of grief. I HAVE to move the seat up and it wasn't letting me. After some giggling and cussing, I am seat belated in, I can reach the petals, and am ready to go.
 
Now, I start up the engine and it roars to life. Not a little noise but a whole lot. The break light is on. After struggling for a few minutes to pull a handle that does not seem like it is going anywhere I call my brother and ask him if it is suppose to be on. He says yes. His break light is like Eleanor' check engine light. They just tend to be on, I can deal with that.
 
His parting words before I head out were don't keep you mouth shut while going over train tracks. Also if the passenger door swings open, well it does that don't worry about it. And if you want to get out of the driver side door you have to fist open the window and open it from the outside. But the radio is fantastic and has a sub-wuffer sitting where his bench sometimes is put in.
 
With no stalling out and a lot of butterflies, I leave to head down the road to my friends.
 
With the rev of the engine and rattle of everything inside the jeep, this is an awesome ride. It is as simple and bare as a mode of transportation can get. Eleanor with her plush seats, and plastic trim, and carpeted floors, has nothing compared to this bare bones Jeep. Radio, car mostly together, engine that runs, paint all the same color.
 
Side tangent, the color was not always the same color, this was more of a resent development. My brother use to draw on it with a metal marker and you too could draw on it. I added Door on the diver side door and HI to the bumper. I am a cleaver puppy. But apparently Jeeps like that don't impress the ladies so he changed it. I told him he is trying to impress the wrong ladies. Anyone who wont get into an awesome Jeep like that should be avoided.
 
The first stop light I come to is a slight hill, and of course the car behind me gets really close. This was not a worrying factor only because I know in this Jeep I will win the fight. Slowly I move forward off the line and make it to my next turn. 
 
Every gear change is felt and heard. Every bump and pot hole make the Jeep rattle. Eleanor has a gap in her door where the wind is constantly howling just at your ear while driving. In this Jeep, the whole thing is leaking air and it is just a constant noise in you head. It is soft enough to not have the radio all the way up, but loud enough everyone needs to yell for a conversation.
 
As I go down the familiarly path to my friends, I realize their are train tacks I must cross. Now, I know they are much better from when I was a in high school, but I was nervous. I slowed down all the way to second gear, then pushed in the clutch just to make sure and rocked and rolled across the tracks. Everything shook, everything rattled, even my teeth, though not together. As the last tire crossed the tracks I slowly went back into gear.
 
By the time I got to my friends house my smile was from ear to ear. I could not help but laughing. Until I tried to get out. I tried the handel, then tried it again and the door wouldn't budge. Then the light bubl went off. I rolled down the window and opened it form the outside. Follwoing a slow slide down the car to reach the pavement I was there.
 
This was some of the most fun driving I have done in a long time. It took concentration, it took control, I made me listen to the car in more than one way. This bare bones Jeep, made me want a Jeep, not just any Jeep, but this Jeep. I have dibs on it already, my brother just doesn't know. Go have yourself some fun and go take a ride in a Jeep, you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment