What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Ah Yes

 
Last night after work I had two goals. One, to go to the gym and take my favorite class, Body Pump, and two, go bowling.
 
I was feeling kind of low for not having a new post on Tuesday, but not having anything super exciting or interesting I would go without then put up a blah post.
 
Lucky for me, yesterday knew I was short on material and provided me with today's post.
 
After work, I was trying to get out the door so I could go across town and get to my Body Pump class on time. I was a minute or two late leaving because my computer shut down sooner than it should have. I talked to a friend and New Dude for just a moment before hurriedly ending the conversation to go get changed.
 
The class stated at 5:30, it was like 5:27. I had enough time to change, put in my contacts, and walk into the class, that had already started.
 
Great, I forgot my water bottle in the car, and the class has already started. It was okay though, they were just on the warm up, not much more than that, I can still do this.
 
This class is PACKED. I look around and see if there is any space for me to even set up. If there was no room, then I'd have to leave anyways.
 
One spot open, right in the middle of the room, at the very front of the class. Alright, that's cool I got this. I duck and weave between like 8 people to get to the equipment. I quickly notice that the weights are pretty much all gone but there is still a bar so I should be okay. I also notice I need a bench.

Well, a bench for this class is actually one of those steppers. You use the top and then two little risers on both sides. Alright, I can do that. Except instead of the normal 4 I need, there are only 3 risers. First, I'm trying to figure out how they would have an odd number. Then I shake my head and go it doesn't matter. I'll just be really close to the floor and grab just two of the risers.
 
I go back to get up my bar. However, due to my worry about getting everything I quickly realize that they only have one size of plates left. The big ones. The ones I use twice in the whole class. All the small and medium plates are all gone. I notice they have some free weights and quickly try and figure out if I could get away with those...probably not. Crap.
 
I stand in this little equipment side room trying to decide what I need to do. Actually what I can do. I have to face it. I'm too late for this class. There is nothing for me to work out with so I have to go back and pick up the low lying bench I just placed and bring it back into the room. Then I have to duck and dive through the millions of people again to leave the room. Sad, un-sweaty, and unable to take my class. Plus, since I was just going to take the class, I didn't bring my knee braces, so I couldn't even run
 
I took this time to say hi to a friend, go get my water bottle, and then do my own work out. I probably didn't do as good of a job as the class would have but I still felt better after.



So now I quickly change and head out to the bowling alley. I thought I was going to be late but ended up being the second one showing up. Win for me.
 
This ended up being a great time. I was able to see one friend and her family I hadn't seen in a while, and there was enough people to fill up all the spots on the two lanes we had.
 
One lane had kids ranging in age from 3 to 10. The 10 year old kept everything going and moving along. In between turns the kids scouted for candy, which I gladly gave them quarters for, and played on the chairs and railing. Were in our own little corner so it was very okay.
 
They had the bumpers up and the little ball pushing thing for the very little ones. They had a very good time.
 
The adults, we had no bumpers, also had a good time feeding the kids and just getting caught up. Good food, having a beer or two, and people just made it a really good night. 
 
Bowling alleys do this new thing where you pay for time slots not games. I found this to be very weird, but it is what it is. We had two hours to play and we only were able to get though one game each. It was okay though because the little ones had to get home . We were leaving around 9 and it was a Tuesday and a school night. 
 
Now, why is it story worthy? Well, because I lost. When I say lost, I mean lost to everyone. I can proudly boast that a 3 year old was able to beat me. How sad is that? The highest score was 144 and my score was 59. One pin shy of my goal of 60. I can blame that pin on the two little kids I let bowl for me, but that's it, just one pin. All the other pins didn't come down because of my own doing, or rather, lack of doing.
 
It was a busy day that ended up being slightly amusing, and allowed me to have a post to share.
 
Have you ever un-intentionally lost to a little kid before? How about failed epically when it came to taking a gym class? Leave me a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment