What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pomegranate

So I did it. I finally bought a pomegranate. It actually sat on my counter for about a week before I had the time to both take pictures for the blog post and actually eating it.
 
The first thing I realized was that I have no idea how to tell if one is ripe or not. I want to say I looked in the produce guide that is now sitting in the grocery store's produce section. I said to pick one that feels heavier then it looks.

They all looked and felt the same so that was of no help.

I had a pretty hard one and it stayed hard. It wasn't like a peach or banana over time where it softens this pomegranate just kind of stayed the same hardness.
 
I know first from a movie and then form co-workers that you eat the seeds and that is it. I was like alright I can do this. So I cut it open.
 
Then I tried to dig around for the seeds.
 
So the seeds were firm. I was not expecting that. I was thinking they would be like little squishy packets, but they were actually quite firm.
 
I took a few and popped them in my mouth and started to chew.


The flavor was good but the seeds, well, it's mostly seed. I kept chewing, knowing the people said you eat the seed. So I was eating the seeds. I did this for a little bit until I felt like I had sawdust in my mouth. I promptly went over the sink and spit everything out.
 
I decided to take this little adventure outside.
 
I did not want to eat the seeds part so I was instead taking the little clusters of seeds, which were way easier to get at with the fingers then a spoon and put them in my mouth. I would then pop all the little juice sacks around the seed. Once all of the juice sacks had been popped, I spit the rest of the seeds out like a machine gun.
 
 
Summary: These are a lot of work. I have no idea if they are suppose to be hard like it was or not. I also now know why their juice is so expensive. There is a lot of work for a little bit of return. I shall try these again, but probably outside and not wearing anything that I don't want ruined. The little bit of juice that landed on my cutting board stained it. I know it will come out, but what would have happened if I was wearing white?
Go try something new and exciting and eat a pomegranate. Let me know what I can do better for next time! Also if there are any other fruits that I should eat with a comment below!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment