What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Friday, October 4, 2013

I learn to spell Alternator

I was suppose to go play soccer Wednesday night. I even had funny post that other people like. It said "Headed to Location, people should join me because my imaginary friends are horrible at passing the ball." 

I laughed other people laughed and then I couldn't get my car to start. All the juice had flown out of my battery. I had just had this problem on Saturday. We had skipped jumping the car and headed to Auto Zone. They charged it for us and I thought that was it. Random fluke. 

The saddest part about this fluke is that it killed my radio. Newer cars apparently have a code you have to put in the radio once it is disconnected from the battery so that people cannot steal it. Well the code we had in the book was wrong. I went around for 3 days in silence. Which, by the way, is not how I enjoy riding in the car. Too much silence makes my mind wander.

While talking to the issues at hand I called in to report the parents of life's newest challenge. They informed me there might be a card of another auto dealership that had to do something with the radio. I was like okay I'll call them and ask tomorrow. However, when I found this card it had a code on it. The code worked! So now I have music or NPR again.

Anyway, back to the story.
Monday went by, no problem, minus no radio.
Tuesday went by, no problem, minus no radio.
Wednesday afternoon when New Dude is out of town, I walk out of my car and it's dead. I have to wander back into the building and find someone to help jump my car. I found someone and they were able to jump my car.
Also, I learned that if you want people to help you with car issues, don't just stand around your car. pop your hood and immediately people will come ask if they can help. Awesome tip.
The next New Dude will be out of town and I had to work both jobs so I had to skip soccer and go sort this mess out. I go back to Auto Zone and they test the battery, it's fine, and the Alternator and it's not good. Awesome.
I was trying to put on my big girl pants and wanting to deal with this mess by myself. I even told New Dude, I've been dealing with these type of issues before you and I can handle this. However, apparently I wasn't denying his help enough, so he hopped into the car and headed back to come  help me with my car.
 I ate some cereal and waited for a little while before packing up some tools and heading over to Auto Zone. There I bought the parts and waited.
New Dude arrived and we started to take out the Alternator. It probably took us, and by us, I mean mostly New Dude, about an hour an half. We had just enough time to return the core and the loaner tool.
I did get to put in a bolt or two, and I was a very good flash light holder.

This is now the 4th Alternator that has been put in for a car I've owned. I've owned 5 cars.

Maybe when I get a new one I should just buy a spare one and keep it in the truck just because? 

Does anyone else have luck like this? If so let me know below!

No comments:

Post a Comment