What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Zombies! Run!

So this past weekend I went and did a Zombie Run race. It was a 5k, put on by the local community jail, and it was for the Special Olympics.

I wanted to get into the mood so I decided to make a shirt. I don't normally make shirts,  but I thought this one was needed. Plus shirt and whit puff pain, less than $5!

Anyway, I was smiling because this was before the race. I was all excited and ready to face the forces of the undead.

Getting lined up for the random waves to go through, well, it was a little nerve wracking. I had sprinted to get caught up with a friend before the race and was out of breath. Not good. However, I think it was just the whole body getting in the mood. I hope?


People avoiding zombie
Anyway, we start through a big park. Right next to a tree line. Everyone looking around for the undead. Like a pack of fish knowing their going towards hungry sharks.

We went a ways before we saw our first zombie. They were in the middle of a big ditch that we were suppose to run through with huge steeping  hills on both sides. Yeah, it was a rush. Trying to crawl up a steep hill to get away. The zombie wasn't even after met yet, I just didn't want to be a target.

By the time our breath was back from that we turned a corner and headed down a nice little path through the woods.

Yeah, we kept running, and then a zombie would be in the middle or on the sides and the people would part around the zombie or dart away like schools of fish.
 More running, more random zombies.

Then some tires as a first obstacles. I didn't know it was an obstacles course.
And then a hoard of zombies just on the other side.

I died. I did. They took all my life flags in that first part. I ducked, I dodged, but I didn't do it smart. I didn't want for more people to be in there so they'd be grabbing at more than one target.

Also, if you look at the picture I took, feel free to scroll back up, I proudly displayed my life on the front of me. I should have had them all in the back more hidden and hard to grab a hold too.

Fail. I died. I did not survive.

But I still have a run to get through.

I had to get over a big round hay bale, which, I was struggling with and someone was kind enough to give my ass a shove so I could get over.

More zombies, and then we went through a walk on a trail.

So many people, so little room on the trail. It was walk. Some people shouted to run, but there was no point. Too many people.

After that more zombies, more running.

We had to go through a random thing that had different sheets hanging down. Not sure why, but it was still something to do.
Followed by more zombies, which were fewer, but they were like hunting in pairs which was smart and good. They didn't bother me too much, no flag to grab.

Then there was wall we had to go over. I'd say 4 feet tall. I made it, ungracefully, but I made it.

Then it was over a tube. Like a big huge black, plastic, corrugated, tube that would be in a ditch or something. Well the guys on this course were just putting a hand down and leaping gracefully over it. There was photographer sitting there to capture the moment. I went up to it and was like this will be nothing but faness.

I run up to it and go thunk. I hit it right in my middle. I am belly down trying to get my legs over to the other side, when I feel it moving. I hurry up and scuttle over it. Yeah, nothing but fanese.

More zombies. More running.

It's hot. I'm getting tired. Is this really just a 5k? Crap, the hay roll is back. This time the little bales I used to get over have been squished more on this side. No one was kind enough to give my butt a shove, however, with some grunting and pulling I got myself up and over, and was even lucky enough to get some hay shoved up my knee braces.

More running, and now there were two little obsticales where you had to get down, crawl on your hands and knees, awesome.

So after the last little crawl, it was one last hoard of zombies, and then some slip and slide time.

As you can see I brought my phone to take a picture or two and wanted to get wet, but didn't want to risk it getting wet.

My friend was on the side lines and I saw her, made eye contact, did the little toss motion with my phone and then tossed it. She caught it with ease, like we had practiced it. We hadn't. I hadn't even really thought about the water at the end until I saw it. It was fantastic!

Anyway, if you have the option of doing a zombie run, do it. If you don't want to run, be a zombie. It was fun times had by all. Here are some more zombie pictures. If I get more from my friend I'll post them as well.

Oh, best sign ever. A little boy was holding a poster board sign that said "Run mom! They're right behind you!"

Zombies walking at the end
Zombies walking at the end

No comments:

Post a Comment