What to Expect from Adventures With ShanShan

This blog takes ordinary events and makes them extraordinary. Okay, probably not, but you're going to be amused.

You can also follow the randomness at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithShanShan

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Things I learned about Jamaica

Picture of the mountains in Jamaica 2014

After a 5 day trip, two of those days being travel days, I had the pleasure of sitting on a beach, having some drinks and learning and visiting a beautiful country called Jamaica.

On this trip I was in a car fro about 7-8 hours. About an hour and half both ways to and from the airport. Another 4ish hours due to a expedition that my friend V. and I took.

In this time, as I went along the roads I learned a few things about the people. Plus, the tour guides were nice, informative, and super cool.

Here is what I learned:
1. Ya man, is like Aye to Canadians, everyone says it in response to most things.
2. No one wears heels. Everyone years flats. I think it is because of the long distances that people have to travel to get to stores and work.
3. Houses are built out of cinder blocks and cement. Some wooden shacks here or there, but for the most part cinder blocks.
4. Not many people are seen sweating bullets when it is hot. Unlike me, when I was pouring buckets on a hot day reading a book.
5. They drive on the wrong side of the road.
6. They have round signs for speed limits and information.
7. Thier major export is sugar cane and coffee beans.
8. Honking is how they communicate while on the road. They beep around blind corners, while they are passing people, saying hi to people, letting people on the side of the road know they are close, just lots and lots of horn honking.
9. Red Strip beer comes in regular and light and they do brew this beer on the island.
10. 80% of the island is mountainous.
11. They have a coral reef that surrounds it and protects it from lots of weather.
12. The flag is black, green, and gold. Gold for the sunshine, black for the people, and green for the land.
13. Coffee beans grow well in the mountains because they don't like much

I've had this post written but not published so I figured it was time. Has anyone else been to Jamaica? what do you think? Please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment